If you've ever owned a Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150, Toyota Tundra, or Dodge Ram, you know the pain all too well: seemingly every weekend someone needs to borrow your truck to booty something, and in return for the use of the heavy machinery, fuel, and worst of all, your fourth dimension, they'll buy you a six-pack of beer. Worst. Deal. Ever. Simply since you lot're a pushover, you e'er hold, and–POOF!–there goes your whole fucking Saturday.

Great for hauling things but also a typical fashion of 24-hour interval-to-twenty-four hours transportation, pickups take loftier demand for young adults who are bargain hunting for furniture and getting settled into a new apartment. As an owner of a truck, you lot will no doubt be very pop amongst friends, neighbors, co-workers, family, and all of their friends and family as well.

Some people only don't feel any guilt request to borrow someone's truck over and over over again. Or they only don't get the hint that you really aren't all that gung-ho over lending vehicles and assisting with loading and moving things. Or maybe you're just too damn nice.

Of grade you could merely say 'no', but imagine the awkwardness of that chat. "Hey bro, can you drive your truck downwards to El Paso and help me move a couch home? Got a sixer in information technology for ya!" "No, JimBob. Bye." There's no manner you don't come off every bit being a selfish wiggle, because unless yous truly are using it for your master style of transportation and really are occupied, you'll be defendant of being or considered a consummate prick. "Roy claimed he was hauling a load of twigs to the cemetery Saturday. Yous believe that shit? That guy'southward expressionless to me."

But what if at that place was a mode around information technology? What if next time JimBob needed a ton of dirt hauled to his driveway, you lot and your precious pickup weren't bachelor? Hither are some great ways to keep the peace and go along your truck at home with yous where it belongs. Or, at the very least, become something good out of the lending of it.

  • A really skilful option is to allow your friend to borrow the truck, but not you. "Yes, bro! The truck is all yours man. Exit me your car and you go do your thing. I have a ton of errands to run. Oh, and brand sure it has a total tank when you return information technology."
  • Lie and say it's broken. "Oh, damn bro, would dearest to help you merely she'south in the shop. $1450 for transmission repair, can you believe that shit?" But make sure he doesn't see y'all out driving it later!
  • Exaggerate how many others are looking to borrowing it. "Wish I could aid broseph, but Cooter has information technology for the whole weekend. Jordy was next in line but I had to tell him no likewise. I perchance have an opening Wednesday from half dozen-ix if that works?" Yous still appear charitable, but maybe your dense friend will start to get it that you and your good nature are being taken advantage of. They may fifty-fifty back off and rent a U-Haul truck.
  • Act over-protective and lay down tons of rules. "Sure Joey, the truck's all yours, but I have to assist Debra with her pottery affair. Ugh, I totallywish I was helping you though. Only please,delightmake sure you lot wearable plastic coverings over your shoes. The floormats are brand new and Ihatedirt. Oh, and when you shift it into Drive, make sure you very gently pull the shifter because I remember something's loose. You're gonna demand to stop after 50 miles and put a quart of oil in besides. I simply don't trust the noise it'south making right now."
  • Pretend information technology's about to break down. "Certain Gilbert, sounds great. I just need to warn you that the concluding calendar week or so information technology'south been making a really weird grinding dissonance and I can't go it to go over 35. Are at that place any backroads we can take? Also the AC is out and the heat is stuck on high, so gear up to get moist."
  • Sabotage the truck and so information technology breaks downwardly immediately. You'd have to employ your imagination here, just equally soon equally y'all back out of the driveway, the truck sputters and quits. "That's weird, information technology worked fine earlier. Welp, lamentable Frank! I wanted to assistance move that pallet of diapers."
  • Put a expressionless beast in it for several days. "Alrighty Fred, all fix? Let's go get these mulberry bushes!" "Uh… Dave? What is that smell?" "What smell?" "It smells similar a dead goat in hither… oh God, I accept to become out. Forget this." As soon equally Fred is out, y'all tin can remove the animate being and have the truck detailed.
  • Say no, only exist very kind. "Brian, you're a very good friend, and I normally would love to help you out. But lately a lot of people have been asking to infringe my pickup and I'thou actually just burned out on information technology. If you wouldn't heed, could you check elsewhere or rent i from Dwelling house Depot by the hour? I'm pitiful, I feel similar a jerk saying this. I promise y'all understand." No matter how nicely you word it, y'all're most certainly going to be hated, at least temporarily.
  • Say yes, but be a total jerk."Jesus Brian, yous too? You're the tertiary person whose asked today! Fine, fuck it, let's become this over with." Hopefully your friend gets the hint and calls information technology off, and afterward you can apologize for your brash beliefs.
  • Say yep and be nice, but make it sound like it volition be a huge hassle."Oh yeah, sounds practiced. I'm in Des Moines now merely as shortly as I get dorsum and driblet the kids off at Grandma'due south, I merely have to unload a pallet of diapers at Tim'south. I'll just need to go a quick oil modify and change my clothes and make a stop at the store for Debra'due south ear meds. Umm… I could be in that location past 7, does that work?" It won't! Great!
  • Say the truck is stolen. "Aye, I tin help you Dick, only but FYI this thing is hot. We need to stay off the master roads. I'm swapping the plates right now."
  • Sell it. Seriously, you're tired of lending it out and helping booty stuff? Get rid of it! "Wish I could Marco, but there's a guy coming over to take information technology for a test drive. Yeah, I decided to unload the old girl. She'due south been good to me, but the wife says we could really use a Geo Metro correct now instead."

Hopefully ane of those tips will help yous find a style to keep those not bad but pesky friends from asking you to borrow your truck. If they want one bad enough, they should go buy or rent their own.

My Hot Take:
I briefly endemic a 1994 Chevy Silverado, and as much equally I cherish all my friends, the non-stop carousel of people needing to borrow information technology for moving, towing, or hauling items they purchased online eventually was too much to keep upwards with. Friends were overnice about information technology and offered money and beer in return, and many times just left their motorcar with me. I nigh e'er said aye, too. When I sold the old girl it was a sad day for everyone.

tl;dr
If you own a pickup, friends will desire to borrow it. If you don't feel similar helping everyone every single time, think of an excuse.